On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - River Cottage: Summer's Here - River Cottage Summer, 2
- 21:00 - Hairy Bikers Everyday Gourmets - Restaurant Revelations
- 22:00 - MasterChef: The Final Three - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 30 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 25 min
A creamy pork and oyster stuffing pairs beautifully with succulent roast chicken in this lavish recipe by Richard Corrigan
Method1. Make the stuffing by heating the cream in a small saucepan and add the bread and garlic. Cook the mixture until the bread has absorbed the cream, then leave to cool. In another pan, heat a tablespoonful of the butter and gently fry the chopped onion and thyme for 5 minutes or until softened but not coloured, and add to the bread mix.
2. In a large bowl combine the pork mince, back fat and the oyster meat. Stir in the bread mixture, lemon zest, egg white and season with salt and pepper, then chill in the fridge until needed.
3. Place the chicken breast-side down on a chopping board. Using scissors, cut through the chicken along the whole length of the body, between the two legs, to open it up and flatten it out. With a small knife remove all the bones, leaving just the drumsticks. Season the meat.
4. Mix the remaining butter with the tarragon and a little seasoning. Turn the chicken over and push the butter under the skin that covers the breast meat. Turn the chicken back over and place the pork stuffing lengthways in the middle of the chicken. Fold the long sides to the middle, then using a trussing needle and butcher’s string, sew the chicken up to keep the stuffing in shape.
5. Preheat the oven to 140C/gas 1. Place the chicken in a roasting tray, cover with foil and roast for 45 minutes. Remove the foil, turn the oven up to 160C/gas 3 and cook for a further 20 minutes. Once cooked, remove from the oven, place on a cooling rack, cover with foil and rest.
6. To make the gravy, mix together a tablespoon of fat from the roasting tin, with the juice from the oysters and a squeeze of lemon juice in a small pan and heat through. Carve the chicken into slices and serve with the gravy.
- 100 g double cream
- 3 slices white bread
- 1 cloves garlic, chopped
- 150 g unsalted butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp thyme, leaves
- 300 g pork shoulder, mince
- 200 g lardo (pork back fat), mince
- 6 rock oysters, shucked, juice reserved
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1.5 -2 kg whole chickens, corn-fed if possible
- 1 tbsp chopped tarragon