On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escapes - Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escapes, 3
- 21:00 - The Great British Bake Off - Cake
- 22:00 - MasterChef - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 20 min
- makes 4 x 375g jars
If you have a glut of berries left over from summer days, or you have some frozen ones waiting to be used, then try Rachel Allen’s simple jam recipe
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas mark 4. Place a saucer into the freezer.
2. Place the sugar in an ovenproof bowl and place into the oven for 15 minutes to warm through.
3. Meanwhile, place the raspberries into a pan and bring to the boil, lightly crushing them to draw out some juice. Cook for about two minutes, then add the sugar to the raspberries and stir well.
4. Cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring frequently. Skim off any scum from the surface of the jam with a slotted spoon any discard.
5. To test if the jam is set, take the chilled saucer out of the freezer and place a drop of jam onto it. If the blob of jam sets and wrinkles when pressed, then it is done. If not, return the jam to the heat and cook for a further 4-5 minutes before testing again.
6. When the jam is set, remove from the heat and pour into sterilised jam jars and cover with lids or jam covers while still hot.
- 1 kg granulated sugar
- 1 kg fresh or frozen raspberries