On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Caribbean Food Made Easy - CARIBBEAN FOOD MADE EASY
- 20:30 - Chinese Food Made Easy - Noodles, Dim Sum and Dumplings
- 21:00 - MasterChef: The Final Three - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 20 min, plus overnight chilling
- makes 800g or 36 pieces
Delicious on its own or chopped up and stirred into ice cream. Rachel Allen’s nutty nougat makes a perfect sweet gift as it keeps exceptionally well
Method1. Place the sugar, powdered glucose and 150ml water in a large, heavy-based saucepan on a medium heat and bring slowly to the boil, stirring all the time until the sugar dissolves. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10–15 minutes, without stirring, until a sugar thermometer dipped into the mixture reads 121°C.
2. Place the egg whites in a large bowl and once the sugar syrup temperature reaches about 110°C begin whisking them to stiff peaks in an electric food mixer on a low setting. Once the syrup reaches its final temperature, pour about a quarter of it, in a slow, steady stream, into the egg whites, continuing to whisk.
3. Immediately return the remaining syrup to the heat and continue to cook, without stirring, for about 5 minutes or until the thermometer reads 149°C all the while continuing to whisk the egg whites on a slow speed.
4. Again once the syrup reaches the right temperature; pour it carefully and in a slow, steady stream into the whisking egg whites. Continue to whisk the egg whites for about 30 minutes until stiff and halved in volume. Scrape down the sides of the bowl every so often with a palette knife or spatula dipped in boiling water.
5. Cover the bottom of a 25 x 15cm cake tin with half the rice paper. Stir the nuts into the fully whisked nougat mixture, mix well and pour into the prepared tin. Working quickly, spread evenly using a palette knife or spatula dipped in boiling water. Place the remaining sheets of rice paper on top to cover, pressing down to stick.
6. Allow to cool and then place in the fridge for 4–6 hours or overnight until set. Remove the slab of nougat from the baking tin and cut into about 36 fingers. Store in the fridge, wrapped individually in parchment paper or cling film.
Apdapted from Rachel Allen Home Cooking (Collins)
- 450 g caster sugar
- 225 g powdered glucose
- 2 egg whites
- 8 sheets rice paper, measuring 6 x 15cm
- 150 g hazelnuts or pistachio nuts, roughly chopped and toasted