On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Nigel Slater's 12 Tastes of Christmas - Nigel Slater's 12 Tastes of Christmas
- 21:00 - Nigel Slater's Simple Christmas - Nigel Slater's Simple Christmas
- 22:00 - The Hairy Bikers: Mums Know Best at Christmas - The Hairy Bikers: Mums Know Best at Christmas
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 10 min
Rachel Allen’s spicy warming broth encompasses all the flavours of the Far East. Substitute the fish sauce for soy sauce for vegetarians
Method1. Place the noodles in a large bowl and pour over boiling water to cover, so that it comes up to about 2.5cm above the noodles, and leave to soak for 3–4 minutes or until soft. Drain well.
2. Meanwhile, place the chillies, garlic, ginger, lemon grass, coriander (reserving a few leaves for scattering over the dish) and juice of one of the limes in a food processor and blend to a paste.
3. Heat the sesame oil in a large saucepan on a medium heat and fry the chilli paste for 3 minutes. Add the coconut milk, stock and 1 tablespoon of fish sauce or soy sauce. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Add the sugar snap peas and bean sprouts and simmer for a further 2–3 minutes or until almost cooked but still crunchy. Check the taste and add more lime juice or fish/soy sauce if necessary.
5. Divide the noodles between warm bowls, ladle the hot soup over and scatter the sliced spring onions and reserved coriander leaves on top.
Apdapted from Rachel Allen Home Cooking (Collins)
- 150 g fine rice noodles
- 2 red chillies, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2.5 cm piece of root ginger, roughly chopped
- 1 sticks lemongrass, outer leaves removed, roughly chopped
- 50 g coriander, leaves and stalks torn
- juice of 1-2 limes
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 4 ml cans coconut milk
- 700 ml vegetable stock
- 1-2 tbsp fish sauce, (nam pla) or soy sauce
- 250 g sugar snap peas, halved lengthways
- 150 g bean sprouts
- 8 spring onions, finely sliced
Tips and suggestions
- For a meat version use chicken stock rather than vegetable stock and substitute the sugar snap peas and bean sprouts with 550g thinly sliced raw chicken breast, legs or thighs, cooking for 5 rather than 3 minutes.