On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie At Home Christmas Special - Jamie At Home Christmas Special
- 21:00 - Nigella's Christmas Bites - Nigella's Christmas Bites
- 22:00 - Tudor Feast At Christmas - Tudor Feast At Christmas
Method1. Using a sharp knife, cut slashes in the chicken drumsticks and thighs and place them in a wide bowl or large food bag.
2. Place the remaining ingredients in a food processor and blend to a rough paste. Alternatively, pound the chillies, ginger, garlic, lemon grass and coriander using a pestle and mortar and then stir in the sugar, lime juice and fish sauce and pour over the chicken, tossing to coat.
3. Cover the bowl with cling film or seal the bag and leave to marinate in the fridge for a few hours, or overnight if possible, tossing occasionally. Preheat the oven to 220C/gas 7.
4. Remove the chicken from the fridge about 30–40 minutes before cooking to bring to room temperature. Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade (reserving the marinade) and arrange in a single layer in a roasting tin. Roast in the oven for 35–40 minutes or until the meat is coming away from the bone.
5. Arrange the chicken pieces on a warm serving platter and place the roasting tin on a medium heat on the hob. Pour in the reserved marinade and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for a few minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon and scraping the sticky bits from the bottom, until thickened and sticky. Pour the sauce over the chicken, scatter with coriander leaves and serve.
Apdapted from Rachel Allen Home Cooking (Collins)
- 1.3 kg chicken, drumsticks and thighs
- 2 red chillies, seeds removed and chopped
- 2.5 cm piece of root ginger, roughly chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 sticks lemongrass, outer skin discarded, roughly chopped
- 15 g coriander, (stalks and leaves), roughly torn, plus a few extra leaves to serve
- 2 tbsp soft light or dark brown sugar
- 2 limes, juice only
- 3 tbsp fish sauce, (nam pla)