On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rachel Khoo's Kitchen Notebook: Cosmopolitan Cook - Costa Brava
- 20:30 - Rachel Khoo's Kitchen Notebook: Cosmopolitan Cook - Provence
- 21:00 - MasterChef: The Final Three - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 15 min
Rachel Allen’s mild curry is great for introducing children to aromatic flavours. Increase the heat with more chillies if you like your curries on the spicier side
Method1. Toast the seeds and cloves then crush using a pestle and mortar or spice grinder
2. Pour 2 tablespoons of the sunflower oil into a large lidded casserole dish or heavy-based saucepan on a high heat, add the onions and sauté for 5 minutes until softened and nicely golden. Transfer to a bowl and add the remaining oil. Place the lamb in the pan and sear until well browned all over, preferably working in batches so as not to overcrowd the pan and stew the meat.
3. Return the onions and all the seared meat to the pan and add the crushed spices along with the turmeric, garlic, ginger and chilli. Season with salt and pepper, toss everything together to combine and stir in the cream and stock, scraping any sediment from the bottom of the pan.
4. Bring slowly to the boil, then immediately reduce the heat and cover with a lid. Leave to gently simmer for about 1 hour, removing the lid for the last 15 minutes. Alternatively, make in an ovenproof dish or pan and cook in the oven, preheated to 150C/gas 2, for an hour, leaving the lid on for the whole cooking time. Check that the lamb is tender, cooking for a little longer if necessary. Add the lime or lemon juice and check the seasoning.
5. For the rice Place the rice in double its volume of salted water, bring to the boil, cover with a lid and cook for 10–12 minutes until the rice is cooked and all the moisture has been absorbed. Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow to stand for a few minutes with the lid on, stir in the butter and coriander, using a fork in order not to mash the rice.
Apdapted from Rachel Allen Home Cooking (Collins)
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp cardamom pods
- 4 cloves
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 4 onions, sliced
- 1 kg lamb shoulder, cut into 2cm dice and fat removed
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped root ginger
- 1 red chilli, seeds removed and finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 450 ml double or single cream
- 150 ml beef or chicken stock
- lime or 1/2 lemons
- coriander leaves, to garnish
For the rice