Almond and pistachio cake
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Roux Masterclass: Alain and Michel Roux Jr - James Martin
- 20:30 - Rick Stein's Fruits of the Sea - Rick Stein's Fruits of the Sea (1): Ep 6
- 21:00 - Choccywoccydoodah - Spring is in the Air
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 45 min, plus cooling time
A damp, delicious and very special cake from Liz Franklin. Enjoy with a cup of Italian coffee for the true cafe experience
- 250 g butter, softened
- 200 g caster sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 120 g ground almonds
- 100 g ground pistachio nuts
- 50 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- grated zest of 2 unwaxed lemons
For the pistachio topping
- 60 g caster sugar
- freshly squeezed juice of 2 lemons
- 60 g pistachio nuts, chopped
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees (Gas 4)
2. Beat the butter and sugar together until smooth. Add the eggs, a little at a time, and beat until firmly incorporated.
3. Stir in the ground almonds and pistachios, the flour, the baking powder and the lemon zest.
4. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 45 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven.
For the topping
5. Meanwhile, make the topping. Heat the caster sugar and lemon juice in a saucepan. Stir in the pistachios. When the sugar has completely dissolved, pour the mixture evenly over the cake. Leave to cool in the tin, then turn out and serve cut into slices.
From Cafe Italia, published by Ryland, Peters and Small