On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Great Sport Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Sport Relief Bake Off
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain - Oxfordshire
- 22:00 - The Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain - East Sussex
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 45 min, plus cooling time
A damp, delicious and very special cake from Liz Franklin. Enjoy with a cup of Italian coffee for the true cafe experience
Method1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees (Gas 4)
2. Beat the butter and sugar together until smooth. Add the eggs, a little at a time, and beat until firmly incorporated.
3. Stir in the ground almonds and pistachios, the flour, the baking powder and the lemon zest.
4. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 45 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven.
For the topping
5. Meanwhile, make the topping. Heat the caster sugar and lemon juice in a saucepan. Stir in the pistachios. When the sugar has completely dissolved, pour the mixture evenly over the cake. Leave to cool in the tin, then turn out and serve cut into slices.
From Cafe Italia, published by Ryland, Peters and Small