On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Hairy Bakers' Christmas Special - The Hairy Bakers' Christmas Special
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers' Twelve Days of Christmas - The Hairy Bikers' Twelve Days of Christmas
- 22:00 - Rick Stein's Christmas Odyssey - Rick Stein's Christmas Odyssey
- Prep time:
- 30 min
- Cook time:
- 30 min
Layers of crispy filo top Mitzie Wilson's delicious Moroccan-spiced pie to great effect
Method1. Dry fry the mince in a medium pan until browned all over. Add the garlic, ginger, spices and seasoning and fry for 2-4 minutes.
2. Add the carrots, beetroot, cranberries and most of the pine nuts reserving a tablespoon for decoration. Reduce the heat and simmer the mixture for 10-15 minutes and allow to cool.
3. Pre-heat the oven to 220C / Gas 6. Melt the oil and butter together in a pan. Brush a 28cm round loose-bottomed fluted flan tin with the oil and butter, lay one sheet of the pastry in the base allowing a little to hang over the edges.
4. Brush lightly with oil and butter and continue to layer up to 8 sheets of pastry at alternate angles so that the whole base is covered and there is plenty hanging over the edges and all round.
5. Pile the cooked mince mixture into the tin and bring the pastry up over the filling scrunching the pastry on top. Add 5 or 6 more sheets of pastry scrunched up on top and drizzle with the remaining oil and butter.
6. Bake for 20 minutes and sprinkle with the remaining pine nuts and continue to bake for another 5-10 minutes until golden and crisp.
7. Mix the harissa paste with the yoghurt and milk and sprinkle with a little paprika. Slice and serve the pie hot.
- 500 g minced lamb
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cm fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, ground
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 medium carrots, grated
- 2 raw beetroot, grated
- 75 g dried cranberries
- 100 g pine nuts
- 25 g butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200 g filo pastry
- freshly ground black pepper
For the harissa yoghurt