On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rachel Khoo's Kitchen Notebook: Cosmopolitan Cook - Costa Brava
- 20:30 - Rachel Khoo's Kitchen Notebook: Cosmopolitan Cook - Provence
- 21:00 - MasterChef: The Final Three - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 50 min, plus chilling
- Cook time:
- 20 min
Mitzie Wilson's traditional meat and potato pie can be made with readymade shortcrust pastry - make your own for a more authentic taste
Method1. For the pastry
Rub the butter and lard into the flour and salt until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add 5 tablespoons of cold water and form the mixture into a ball adding a little more water if necessary. Chill for 20 minutes.
2. Dry fry the onion, carrots and beef together in a medium saucepan over a high heat until browned, then reduce the heat and add the tomato ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, Marmite, flour and seasoning.
3. Cook for one minute then add the diced potato, 150 mil water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
4. Heat the over to 200C / Gas 6. Dust a work surface with flour and roll out two thirds of the pastry into a square large enough to cover the base and sides of a 20cm square 4cm deep cake tin.
5. Add the cooled mince, then roll out the remaining pastry for the lid. Dampen the edge of the pastry and place on the lid on top of the pie and press the edges well to seal.
6. Using a fork pierce the top of the pie several times and brush with milk. Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown. Serve hot with mashed potatoes, peas and gravy.
For the pastry
- 300 g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 75 g butter
- 75 g lard, or vegetable fat
- 5-6 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp milk, to glaze
For the filling
- 1 onion, finely dieced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 250 g minced beef
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp Marmite
- 1 1/2 tbsp plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large baking potato, finely diced
Tips and suggestions
- This pie can be frozen for up to 3 months.