On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Choccywoccydoodah - Every Cake Tells a Story
- 20:30 - Choccywoccydoodah - Show Business
- 21:00 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - New York
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 2 hrs
The secret to these sensational potatoes is the meat juices that baste them during cooking, resulting in a superbly flavoursome yet hassle-free roast dinner
Method1. Preheat the oven to 220C/gas 7.
2. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and fry the onions for 5 minutes or until softened but not coloured. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
3. In a roasting tin large enough to accommodate the leg of lamb, layer the potatoes and onions, seasoning each layer with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Finish with a layer of potatoes, neatly overlapping the slices.
4. Pour over the hot stock and set aside.
5. Using a small, sharp knife, make small, deep incisions all over the surface of the lamb. Insert a slice of garlic into each incision and season generously with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
6. Place a rack over the potatoes and onions and sit the lamb on top. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 180C/gas 6 and roast for about 1 hour 15 minutes for medium-rare or 1 hour 35 minutes for well done.
7. Remove the potatoes and lamb from the oven and set aside to rest for 15 minutes. Carve the lamb and serve on warm serving plates with the boulangere potatoes alongside.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- 1.5 kg potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 300 ml hot chicken stock
- 1 X 1.75 kg leg of lamb, (with bone)
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
Tips and suggestions
- to calculate the cooking time for your leg of lamb, cook for 15 minutes at 220C/gas 7 then reduce the temperature to 180C/gas 6 and roast for a further 15 minutes per 450g for medium-rare or 20 minutes for well done, plus an extra 15 minutes. Always allow the meat to rest out of the oven for at least 15 minutes before carving, this will allow the meat to ‘relax’ and the juices to settle, resulting in a tender joint.