On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's American Road Trip - Los Angeles
- 21:00 - River Cottage: Summer's Here - River Cottage Summer, 1
- 22:00 - MasterChef Ireland - MasterChef Ireland (2), 10
- Prep time:
- 30 min, plus chilling overnight
- Cook time:
- 15 min
Rachel Allen brightens up a traditional Italian dessert with a taste of English summer
Method1. Dissolve half the sugar in the water and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add the rhubarb to the pan, and cook gently for 3-4 minutes, until tender but still holding its shape. Leave on one side to cool.
2. Whisk the egg yolks with the remaining sugar until pale and fluffy. Whisk in the mascarpone cheese and beat until smooth.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until they resemble soft peaks. Fold into the egg and mascarpone mixture.
4. Remove the cooled rhubarb from the syrup and set aside. Add the orange juice to the rhubarb syrup and strain into a bowl.
5. Dip half the biscuits in the cooled syrup and use to line the base of a 28cm gratin dish or glass bowl. Spread half the mascarpone mixture over the biscuits and top with half the rhubarb. Cover the rhubarb with another layer of biscuits dipped in syrup. Spread with the rest of the rhubarb, followed by the remaining mascarpone mixture. Cover with cling film and chill for about 6 hours, or overnight.
6. Toast the almonds in a dry frying pan for 2-3 minutes until they turn golden brown. Set aside to cool before scattering over the tiramisu.