On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Man v. Food Presents - Carnivore Edition (Volume 2)
- 20:30 - Man v. Food Presents - Carnivore Edition (Volume 3)
- 21:00 - Man v. Food Presents - Carnivore Edition (Volume 4)
- Prep time:
- 20 min, plus 1 hour chilling
- Cook time:
- 1 hr
Anthony Demetre and Jade Jones transform rabbit into a fine dining dish with a rich reduction sauce and seasonal vegetables
Method1. For the rabbit: melt the butter in a frying pan over a high heat and fry the kidneys and liver for 1-2 minutes until browned.
2. Arrange the kidneys and liver in the cavity of the rabbit saddle and top with the sprigs of tarragon.
3. Lay the slices of Parma ham on a board, overlapping them slightly, then place the rabbit saddle on top. Roll the Parma ham tightly around the saddle to form a cylinder shape then cover this tightly with the pig’s caul. Tie with kitchen string to secure and place in the fridge to chill for about an hour.
4. For the sauce: while the rabbit is chilling, heat the vegetable oil in a heavy-based pan over a high heat. Tip in all the remaining rabbit pieces and saddle bone and fry for 3-4 minutes until browned.
5. Pour in the white wine vinegar and boil until reduced then repeat with the white wine. Stir in the chopped tomatoes, thyme and whole garlic clove and pour over enough cold water to just cover.
6. Bring back to the boil then reduce the heat to a vigorous simmer for about 20 minutes or until reduced to a rich, syrupy consistency. Strain the sauce, discard the bones, and keep the sauce warm.
7. Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
8. For the glazed carrots: while the sauce is reducing, tip the carrots into a small pan with enough water to almost cover the carrots. Pour in the olive oil and garlic cloves and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until the carrots are tender and the liquid has reduced to a shiny glaze.
9. To cook the rabbit saddle, heat the olive oil in an ovenproof frying pan over a high heat and fry the rabbit for 3-4 minutes, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides. Transfer to the oven for 8-10 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from the oven and set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
10. To serve, carve the saddle into slices and spoon over the sauce. Serve with the glazed carrots, crushed Jersey Royals and peas.
For the rabbit
- rabbit, (with kidneys and liver), saddle removed and deboned, remaining rabbit chopped into pieces (ask your butcher to do this for you)
- knob of butter
- 4 sprigs tarragon
- 6 slices Parma ham
- 4 sheets pig, caul
- 2 tbsp olive oil
For the sauce
- vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp white wine
- 2 ripe medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 cloves garlic
For the glazed carrots