Salt and pepper prawns with tomato salad
By: From: Market Kitchen
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - What Grows Together
- 20:30 - Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - Made for Each Other
- 21:00 - New Choccywoccydoodah: Starstruck - 'Tis the Season to Be Choccy...
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 10 min
Bill Granger’s crispy prawns, with just a hint of chilli, make a perfect starter or even a light lunch
- 4 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp sea salt
- 2 tsp freshly ground white (or black) pepper
- 20 large raw prawns, peeled and deveined, tails intact (if preferred)
- 1 litres mild flavoured oil, such as sunflower, for deep-frying
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and sliced
- lemon wedges, to serve
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. For the tomato salad: put the tomatoes into a bowl and mash lightly with a fork to release the juices.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients. Toss to combine and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
3. Combine the cornflour, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
4. Add the prawns and toss to dust with the seasoned cornflour mixture. Shake off the excess and set aside on a tray. (Don’t leave them sitting for too long like this or they will get soggy and won’t be as crunchy and delicious as they should be.)
5. Heat the oil in a wok to 190C, or until a cube of bread dropped in browns in less than 1 minute.
6. Fry the prawns in batches, trying not to crowd the wok, for around 2 minutes until they are just opaque. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
7. Once the prawns are all cooked, deep-fry the sliced chilli in the oil for 1-2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
8. Arrange the prawns on a warm serving platter, top with fried chilli and serve with tomato salad and lemon wedges on the side.