Espresso and chocolate ice cream sandwiches
By: From: Boys Weekend
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Roux Masterclass: Alain and Michel Roux Jr - James Martin
- 20:30 - Rick Stein's Fruits of the Sea - Rick Stein's Fruits of the Sea (1): Ep 6
- 21:00 - Choccywoccydoodah - Spring is in the Air
- Prep time:
- 30 min
- Cook time:
- 8 hrs, or overnight
Manu Feildel makes lush chocolate meringues and fills them with espresso cream and two types of ice cream - pure decadence!
For the meringue
- 180 g icing sugar
- 4 tbsp bitter cocoa powder
- 260 g caster sugar
- 8 egg whites
For the espresso cream
- 100 g caster sugar
- 4 double shots espresso coffee
- 200 ml double cream
- 200 ml mascarpone
- 250 ml double chocolate ice cream
- 250 ml caramel ice cream
- bitter cocoa powder, to dust
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. For the meringue: preheat the oven to 100C/gas ¼. Sift the icing sugar and cocoa powder into a bowl. Stir in 60g of the caster sugar.
2. Place the egg whites in a separate clean bowl and add 3 tablespoons of the remaining caster sugar. Whisk the mixture until soft peaks form when the whisk is removed from the bowl.
3. Stir the remaining sugar into the icing sugar and cocoa powder mixture. Continue to whisk, gradually adding the sugar and cocoa powder mixture until the meringue is glossy and stiff.
4. Place the meringue into a piping bag and pipe the mixture into circles onto a tray lined with baking parchment - the circles should be about the size of a large digestive biscuit.
5. Place into the preheated oven and cook overnight, or until the meringues release themselves from the paper. Leave to cool.
6. For the espresso cream: combine the sugar, coffee, cream and mascarpone in a mixing bowl.
7. To serve: pipe or scoop the double-chocolate and caramel ice cream onto half of the meringues evenly, add a dollop of espresso cream and press a second meringue onto each to form a sandwich. Dust with a little bitter cocoa powder and top with any remaining espresso cream. Any broken meringues can be crumbled over the top for decoration. Serve.