Roasted cod with chorizo stew
By: From: Market Kitchen
On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - What Grows Together
- 20:30 - Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - Made for Each Other
- 21:00 - New Choccywoccydoodah: Starstruck - 'Tis the Season to Be Choccy...
- Prep time:
- 25 min
- Cook time:
- 35 min
Stephen Terry’s delicious dinner party dish makes use of wild garlic and jersey royals, both seasonal for spring
For the 'stew'
- 20 jersey royal potatoes, quartered
- 200 g chorizo, diced into ½ cm pieces
- 200 g black pudding, diced into ½ cm pieces
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 1 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 150 ml chicken stock
- 250 ml fresh tomato sauce
- 1 small bunch wild garlic, leaves
For the fish
- 2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 X 140 g cod fillets
- 25 g butter
- handfuls breadcrumbs
- pea shoots, to garnish
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5.
2. For the ‘stew’: tip the potatoes into a pan of boiling salted water and boil until tender. Once cooked, drain and set aside.
3. Fry the chorizo and black pudding with the olive oil in a frying pan until lightly browned and the oils are released from the chorizo. Strain and set aside, reserving the cooking oils separately.
4. Pour the chorizo and black pudding oils into a clean pan and fry the potatoes in this oil over a medium heat until lightly browned. Drain and set the potatoes aside, leaving about a tablespoon of oil in the pan.
5. Add the onion, garlic and chilli to the potato pan and fry until softened, pour in the chicken stock and cook until the volume of liquid has reduced by half.
6. Add the tomato sauce and wild garlic and simmer until the wild garlic is cooked through. Tip the chorizo, black pudding and potatoes into the pan and heat through. Keep warm.
7. For the cod: heat the olive oil in an ovenproof pan and fry the fish, skin-side down for about a minute. Turn the fish over and then transfer to the preheated oven to roast for about 5 minutes.
8. To serve, heat the butter in a pan until browned, add the breadcrumbs and fry until crisp. Divide the stew among four plates and sprinkle liberally with the brown butter breadcrumbs. Place a fillet of cod on top and garnish with pea shoots.