On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Nigel Slater's 12 Tastes of Christmas - Nigel Slater's 12 Tastes of Christmas
- 21:00 - Nigel Slater's Simple Christmas - Nigel Slater's Simple Christmas
- 22:00 - The Hairy Bikers: Mums Know Best at Christmas - The Hairy Bikers: Mums Know Best at Christmas
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 20 min
- 2 as a snack
Don’t throw away that pork skin – save it to make Market Kitchen's moreish, golden and crisp pork scratchings
Method1. Preheat the oven to its highest temperature.
2. Place the pork rind strips onto a rack placed over a roasting tray filled with water (the water will help prevent the fat from smoking up the oven when it drips into the tray).
3. Sprinkle the rock salt over the rinds, then roast in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until the rind is bubbling and turning golden.
4. Remove the rind from the oven and slice into 5cm strips.
5. Half-fill a deep, heavy-based pan with vegetable oil and heat until a cube of bread dropped in sizzles and turns golden-brown in 30 seconds. Carefully fry the rind strips in the oil for 2-3 minutes, or until puffed up and golden-brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
6. Serve either hot or cold.
- pork rind, sliced into 1 inch wide strips
- rock salt, for sprinkling
- vegetable oil, for deep frying