On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Nigel Slater's 12 Tastes of Christmas - Nigel Slater's 12 Tastes of Christmas
- 21:00 - Nigel Slater's Simple Christmas - Nigel Slater's Simple Christmas
- 22:00 - The Hairy Bikers: Mums Know Best at Christmas - The Hairy Bikers: Mums Know Best at Christmas
Submitted by: EllieJ56257
- Prep time:
- 30 min, plus 30 mins marinating
- Cook time:
- 30 min
- Makes about 10 fish cakes
Paul Rankin’s creamy salmon fish cakes are pressed with egg noodles and fried until crisp – perfect with an Asian-style salsa
Method1. For the fish cakes: cut the salmon into 2cm pieces, place on a plate, cover and transfer to the freezer for 10 minutes.
2. Remove the fish from the freezer and combine it with the egg in a food processer; blend until smooth. Add half of the whipping cream and blend for 5 seconds, then wipe down the edges with a spatula.
3. Add the remaining cream and the fish sauce; blend again for 5 seconds. Turn this paste into a bowl and add the rest of the fish, curry paste, lime leaves, coriander, green beans, sugar, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly then, using your hands, divide into patties about 6cm in diameter.
4. Mix the egg white with the noodles in a bowl. Press each fish cake patty into the noodles to coat with a single layer.
5. For the Asian salsa: stir together all the ingredients in a bowl and allow to stand for 30 minutes
6. For the lime mayonnaise: tip the mayonnaise into a bowl, and stir in the zest, juice and water.
7. To cook the fish cakes: preheat the oven to 170C/gas 3 and heat the vegetable oil in a deep-fat fryer or wok to 175C/350F. Take care not to leave the oil unattended as this can be dangerous.
8. Fry the cakes in batches of about 4 until the noodles are lightly browned. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on kitchen paper to drain. Transfer the fried fish cakes to a baking tray and lightly cover with foil. Bake in the oven for 4 minutes.
9. Serve the hot fish cakes with the salsa and lime mayonnaise, garnished with a sprig of coriander per person and a few chives.
<strong>For the fish cakes</strong>
- 200 g skinless salmon
- 1 egg
- 100 ml whipping cream
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 250 g fish fillets, or shellfish (such as haddock, brill, hake, prawns and scallops), cut into 1cm pieces
- 75 g red curry paste
- 6 Kaffir limes, leaves, (fresh or frozen not dried) very finely sliced
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- 60 g green beans, very finely sliced
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground white pepper
- 1 egg white, lightly whisked
- 200 g Chinese egg noodles, cooked and drained
- vegetable oil, to deep fry
For the Asian salsa
- 3 plum tomatoes, peeled, seeds removed, cut into 1/2 cm dice
- 1 spring onion, finely diced
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 1 large red chilli, seeds removed, very finely diced
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1/2 tbsp fish sauce
- 50 ml light olive oil
For the lime mayonnaise
- 6 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 lime, zest only
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp water