On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Two Fat Ladies - Cocktail Party
- 20:30 - Two Fat Ladies - Lunch
- 21:00 - River Cottage Spring - River Cottage Spring, 4
- Prep time:
- 15 min, plus 3-4 hours soaking
- Cook time:
- 20 min
Chicken livers are an economical purchase, and so easy to work into a delicious starter, as shown by Paul Rankin
Method1. For the chicken livers: prepare the chicken livers by trimming off any sinews and green bile spots. Soak the livers in a bowl of the milk for at least 3-4 hours, ideally overnight, in the fridge.
2. For the hazelnut vinaigrette: in a small bowl whisk together the mustard, vinegar and salt and ground white pepper. Slowly add the oils, whisking continually, until the dressing is smooth and creamy.
3. For the salad: cook the baby potatoes in a pan of boiling salted water for 8-10 minutes, or until tender, then drain and refresh in cold water. Peel off the skins and slice into rounds. Season with salt and freshy ground black pepper, then drizzle with the hazelnut vinaigrette and set aside.
4. Cook the beans in a pan of boiling salted water for 5-6 minutes, or until tender, then refresh in cold water. Drain and cut into 1cm lengths. Place into a bowl and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then add the chopped spring onions and hazelnuts. Set aside.
5. Take the livers out of the milk and drain on kitchen paper. Season generously with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Melt the butter in a large frying pan over a high heat until the butter is foaming, then add the livers in one layer and allow to brown for 2-3 minutes, without moving them, or until golden-brown on one side. Turn over and cook for a further minute, or until golden-brown all over. The livers should remain slightly pink on the inside.
6. To serve, spoon the sliced potatoes onto the centres of four plates. Dress the green beans with a few tablespoons of the hazelnut dressing, then spoon around the potato slices. Pile the chicken livers on top of the potatoes and serve immediately.
For the chicken livers
For the hazelnut vinaigrette
For the salad