On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Lorraine's Fast, Fresh and Easy Food - Simple Classics
- 20:30 - Gok Cooks Chinese - Traditional
- 21:00 - River Cottage Veg Every Day - Power
- Prep time:
- 10 min, plus min 4 hours resting
- Cook time:
- 35 min
This chocolate fondant from Trish Deseine is one of the moistest you can imagine, and is also very easy to make
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Grease and flour a 25cm diameter round cake tin.
2. For the fondant: tip the chocolate into a heatproof mixing bowl and sit it over a pan of barely simmering water (make sure the water doesn’t touch the bottom of the bowl as the heat would be too fierce). Pour the hot coffee over the chocolate, add the butter, and stir until the chocolate and butter have melted and combined.
3. Remove the bowl from the heat and set aside for 10 minutes to cool slightly.
4. Add the sugar and stir well, then break the eggs into the mixture, one at a time, mixing well after each egg has been added. Finally fold in the flour.
5. Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 20-25 minutes, until just firm at the edges but still very moist in the centre.
6. Leave the cake to cool completely before turning out of the tin, ideally overnight.
7. For the glaze: melt the chocolate and butter together in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water (again make sure the water doesn’t touch the bottom of the bowl). Add the water and stir to combine.
8. Remove from the heat and allow the glaze to cool and thicken slightly, to a fudge-like consistency, then pour over the cooled cake. Set aside in a cool place for about 2 hours then serve.
- 200 g dark chocolate, minimum 65% cocoa solids, broken into small pieces
- 1 tbsp strong, hot coffee, (preferably double strength espresso)
- 200 g butter, softened
- 200 g caster sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 tbsp heaped plain flour
For the glaze
- 100 g dark chocolate, minimum 65% cocoa solids, broken into small pieces
- 50 g butter, softened
- 2 tbsp water
Tips and suggestions
- you can melt the chocolate and butter in the microwave for step 2 and step 7 of this recipe if you prefer. Just make sure you stop the microwave about every 20 seconds and give everything a good stir to prevent burning the chocolate.