On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Hairy Bikers' Bakeation - Eastern Europe
- 21:00 - Nigel Slater's Simple Cooking - Hot and Cold
- 21:30 - Heston Blumenthal: In Search Of Perfection - Risotto
- Prep time:
- 25 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 20 min
Roasted red peppers add an extra depth of flavour to Tara Harris’ goulash, which challenges chef Stephen Midgley’s version of the same dish
Method1. For the goulash: dust the cubed meat in the seasoned flour.
2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the onions until they’re softened and just beginning to brown. Add the cubed meat and fry until the meat is starting to brown on all sides.
3. Sprinkle the chopped chillies, paprika, chilli powder and nutmeg into the pan. Stir to coat the meat in all the spices. Add the garlic, tomato purée, tinned tomatoes, beef stock, bay leaves, oregano, thyme and beer to the pan. Simmer for 1 hour over a low heat.
4. Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5. Put the whole red peppers on a roasting tray and transfer the tray to the oven. Cook until the peppers are blackened. Once the peppers are black, remove them from the oven and cover with cling film.
5. When the peppers are cool enough to handle, discard the cling film and peel off the pepper skins. Remove and discard the seeds, as well as the skin, slice the flesh and add the slices to the goulash.
6. For the carrot, turnip and potato champ: peel potatoes, carrots and turnips, cut into cubes and add to a pan of boiling salted water over a medium heat. Simmer for 20 minutes, or until tender.
7. Drain the vegetables and tip them back into the pan. Place the pan back over the heat to remove any excess moisture. Add a drizzle of olive oil and mash the vegetables with a masher or ricer until smooth. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
8. Serve the goulash and mash with soured cream on the side and sprinkle over finely chopped fresh thyme and oregano, to taste.
- 500 g beef skirt steak, cut into cubes
- 500 g beef brisket, cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp plain flour, seasoned
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions
- 2 red chillies, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp tomato purée
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 500 ml beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs oregano
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 x 330ml can beer
- 3 red peppers
For the carrot, turnip and potato champ