On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey - Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey, 4
- 21:00 - Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey - Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey, 5
- 22:00 - Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey - Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey, 6
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 15 min
- Makes about 16 samosas
Silvana Franco makes tasty Indian finger food with minced lamb and spices – perfect for entertaining.
Method1. Cook the parsnip and swede in boiling, salted water for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain well.
2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the onion, garlic and ginger for 3-4 minutes until softened and starting to brown. Add the lamb mince and cumin and cook until the meat is cooked through, about 8 minutes.
3. Add the root vegetables, peas and salt to taste, then remove from heat.
4. Unfold the filo pastry into sheets. Cut each sheet into two lengthways, to form long strips. Spoon a heaped teaspoon of the mixture into the bottom corner of each sheet. Fold over in a triangle shape until every edge is sealed with a piece of pastry. On the last fold brush a little water along the edges to ensure it sticks. Repeat until all the mixture is used up.
5. Heat about 5cm of oil in a wok or deep frying pan. Cook the samosas in batches for about 2 minutes at a time, turning until crisp and golden brown all over.
6. Drain on kitchen paper. Serve hot or at room temperature. The samosas can be gently reheated in the microwave.
- 1 parsnip, peeled and diced
- 1/4 swede, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 150 g lean minced lamb
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 75 g frozen peas, thawed
- sunflower oil, for deep frying
- 1 x 250g packet filo pastry