On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's American Road Trip - Louisiana
- 21:00 - River Cottage: Summer's Here - River Cottage Summer, 4
- 22:00 - The Great British Bake Off: Wedding Cake Special - The Great British Bake Off: Wedding Cake Special
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 55 min
John Quigley’s twist on the modern British dish also known as ‘Balmoral Chicken’ is to brush it with Dijon mustard to add another element of flavour
Method1. Preheat oven 200C/gas 6.
2. Bring a pan of salted water to the boil, add potatoes, carrot, parsnips and swede, bring back to boil and cook for 7-8 minutes until partially cooked cooked. Drain.
3. Meanwhile cut an incision lengthways in the chicken to make a pocket, roll the haggis into sausage shape, stuff into pocket, close over, brush mustard on chicken and wrap the chicken in the bacon.
4. Heat the oil in an ovenproof frying pan, add vegetables and garlic and fry over a medium heat until the vegetables colour.
5. Season the vegetables, add the chicken and seal on both sides. Add the thyme, half the butter and put the pan in the oven for approx 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked (a meat thermometer is handy for this and should read above 82C).
6. Once cooked, remove the vegetables and chicken from the pan and keep warm.
7. Put the pan on the stove over a high heat, add the whisky, and set fire to the whisky with the pan juices. Once the alcohol has burned off, add the stock and reduce by half. Just before serving, whisk in remaining butter and add the parsley.
8. Place the vegetables on a plate, carve the chicken and place on top, pour over the whisky-flavoured pan juices and garnish with watercress, if using.
Chef’s tip: John advises that you use a drier haggis for this recipe, as fresh haggis can be a bit soft/difficult to stuff with.
- 1 skinless chicken breast
- 2-3 new potatoes, quartered
- 1 small handfuls carrots, chopped
- 1 small handfuls parsnips, chopped
- 1 small handfuls swede, diced
- 50 g haggis
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 rashers streaky bacon
- 2-3 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp thyme, leaves only
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 175 ml chicken stock, (or lamb or beef stock)
- 1 dashes of whiskey
- 1 small handfuls parsley, chopped
- watercress, optional