On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - Jamie's Best Ever Christmas - Jamie's Best Ever Christmas, 2
- 21:00 - Stuffed: The Great British Christmas Dinner - Stuffed: The Great British Christmas Dinner
- 22:00 - Jamie's Christmas with Bells On - Jamie's Christmas with Bells On Ep 1
- Prep time:
- 20 min, plus several hours marinating time
- Cook time:
- 20 min
This is the classical Parsee style fried chicken much loved by all at most festive or celebratory occasions.
Method1. Remove the skin from the chicken and make light gashes in the flesh, almost like a criss-cross pattern, but take care not to shred the meat.
2. Make a paste from the marinade ingredients, by combining in a pestle and mortar, or blender.
3. Rub the ground/pureed paste into the chicken and leave to marinate for half an hour at least, preferably up to six hours.
4. Heat the oil to 1.5 inches deep in a fryer or deep skillet. A wider pan will allow you to fry all the pieces at one time, but go with what you are comfortable.
5. Beat two eggs at a time for best results. This gives a crisper and more frilly coating.
6. Test the oil by dropping a little egg into it and seeing if it fries up instantly.
7. Dip each piece of chicken into flour and then into the beaten egg and fry in hot oil. Try one piece first and see if the temperature is correct. Very hot oil will discolour too fast and not cook the meat.
8. After adding the chicken, try to lower the temperature just slightly and keep spooning the oil over chicken to get frills. Cook until the chicken is done and has a golden colour.
9. If you are frying in two or three batches ensure that you run a fine mesh strainer in the oil to pick up left over floating egg frills and any blackened residues. It is also best to allow the oil to reheat slowly so that the oil does not foam over.
10. Once used the oil can be strained in a strainer with a coffee filter inside for a perfect result, leaving you with clean oil for the next use.
11. Serve with a slice of lime, some tomato gravy or some salad with a mayonnaise based dressing.
- 6 boned chicken legs
- 8 eggs
- plain flour
- oil, for deep-frying
For the marinade
- 150 g chopped ginger
- 6 cloves garlic
- 3 green chillies, deseeded
- 1.5 tsp turmeric
- 4 tsp toasted cumin seeds
- few sprigsfresh coriander
- 0 1/2 juice of limes
- salt, to taste