Jam cookie sandwiches
By: From: Rachel Allen: Bake!
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - What to Eat Now: Summer - What To Eat Now: Summer, 3
- 20:30 - What to Eat Now: Summer - What To Eat Now: Summer, 4
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers: Mums Know Best - Simple Suppers
- Prep time:
- 15 min, plus 30 minutes chilling
- Cook time:
- 10 min
- Makes about 35 cookies
These jam cookies are the perfect nibble to serve with coffee - the icing sugar is a lovely finish
- 425 g plain flour
- 75 g caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp freshly grated lemon zest, from 1 large lemon
- 4 egg yolks
- 325 g butter, softened
- raspberry or strawberry jam
- icing sugar, for dusting
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Preheat oven to 180C/gas mark 4.
2. Sift the flour into a large bowl, add the sugar, vanilla extract, lemon zest, egg yolks and butter. Mix with an electric food mixer or a wooden spoon until it comes together as a dough. Remove from the bowl and flatten with a rolling pin or the palm of your hand to about 2cm (3/4in) thick. Wrap in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
3. Remove the dough from the fridge and place on a lightly floured work surface. Roll the dough out to about 5mm (1/4in) thick.
4. Using a 6cm plain biscuit cutter, cut the dough into discs.
5. Take half the discs, and using either a plain or flower-shaped 3cm (1 1/4in) cutter, cut holes from the centre. Bring the scraps together and roll out to make more discs, and cut holes in the centre of these. You should end up with about 35 whole discs and 35 discs with the centres cut out.
6. Place the discs on baking trays (you will need a few baking trays) and bake for 8-10 minutes until pale golden. Allow to stand for a few minutes, then remove from the trays and transfer to wire racks to cool.
7. When the discs are cool, spread 1/2-1 teaspoon of jam on the whole discs and top with the discs with the centres cut out.
8. Dust with icing sugar and serve.