On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - Rachel Allen: All Things Sweet - Classic Twists
- 20:30 - Lorraine's Fast, Fresh & Easy Food - Feel Good Food
- 21:00 - River Cottage - River Cottage: Winter's On The Way, 2
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 2 hrs
For a warming winter dish with a hint of spice, try this slow-cooked stew with chipotle chilli from Tom Parker-Bowles
Method1. Pour the hot water over the chillies in a bowl and leave to soak for 30 minutes or until soft, turning them over halfway so they soak on both sides. Drain, then cut off the stems and slit the chillies open. Remove the seeds and veins before chopping the chillies finely.
2. Heat half the oil in a large saucepan or flameproof casserole over a high heat until hot. Brown half the meat for 8-10 minutes over a high heat, then remove and repeat with the remaining oil and meat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
4. Return all the meat to the pan and pour in the passata. Add the vinegar, oregano, chopped chilli and bay leaf, and season to taste.
5. Cover and simmer on top of the stove stirring occasionally for 1 hour 30 minutes or until the beef is tender and the tomato juices well reduced. Serve with boiled rice.
- 1-3 dried chipotle chillies, (see cook's note)
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 kg chuck or braising steak, cut into 5 cm cubes
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 350 ml passata
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp oregano, leaves, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- boiled rice, to serve
Tips and suggestions
- chipotle chillies are available from peppers by post or the cool chile company.