On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Delicious and Historical
- 20:30 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Meat is Still Awesome
- 21:00 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Meat Glorious Meat
- Cook time:
- 4 hrs
Trina Hahnemann makes fresh duck stock for a delicious gravy and stuffs whole duck with prunes and apple for a great alternative to turkey for Christmas dinner
Method1. For the duck stock: fry the duck legs in a large saucepan, turning occasionally, until they are golden-brown. Add the red wine, water, carrot, onion, thyme, peppercorns and salt. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and leave to simmer for 2 hours, or up to 4 hours if you have time.
2. Strain the stock using a sieve and discard the duck and vegetables. Pour the broth into a container and leave to cool, then cover and store in the refrigerator overnight. Before use, scrape all the duck fat from the surface and save it to use another time (such as for roasting potatoes).
3. For the duck: preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. Pour boiling water over the duck. Rub the inside of the duck with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix the apple and prunes together, put them into the duck’s cavity; then secure using a trussing needle and cook’s string. Season the outside with more salt and pepper.
4. Place the duck on a rack and put the rack in a roasting tray. Roast for 2½ hours, then leave the duck to rest for 10 minutes. Raise the oven temperature to 230C/gas 8.
5. Carve the duck into ten pieces, place in an ovenproof dish and return to the oven for 10 minutes. Keep warm until you are ready to serve.
6. To make the gravy: melt the butter in the saucepan. Add the flour and stir until the paste comes away from the edge of the pan. Add the stock, a little at a time, stirring after each addition until there are no lumps left. Bring the stock slowly to a simmer, stirring constantly.
7. Stir in the cream, redcurrant jelly and gravy browning (if using). Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper. Serve the duck with the apple-prune mixture on the side, along with the gravy.
For the duck stock
- 2 duck legs
- 750 ml red wine
- 1 litres water
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion, unpeeled
- 10 sprigs thyme
- 1 tbsp whole peppercorns
- 1 tbsp coarse salt
For the duck
- 1 duck
- 1 apple, such as Cox’s Orange Pippin, cored and cubed
- 100 g prunes
For the gravy
- 50 g butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 800 ml duck stock, (see above)
- 300 ml double cream
- 2 tsp redcurrant jelly
- a little gravy browning, (optional)