On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Little Paris Kitchen: Cooking with Rachel Khoo - Little Paris Kitchen: Cooking With Rachel Khoo, 1
- 20:30 - The Little Paris Kitchen: Cooking with Rachel Khoo - Little Paris Kitchen: Cooking With Rachel Khoo, 2
- 21:00 - The Little Paris Kitchen: Cooking with Rachel Khoo - Little Paris Kitchen: Cooking With Rachel Khoo, 3
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 10 min
Anjum Anand’s super supper dish combines Anglo-Indian flavours to wonderful effect
Method1. Boil the potatoes, whole, in a pan in boiling, salted water until tender - about 15-20 minutes. Drain well and carefully skin the potatoes. Mash well with a ricer or potato masher and set the potatoes aside.
2. Heat the oil in a large non-stick saucepan, add the cardamom pods and fry for 30 seconds. Add the onion and fry until golden-brown.
3. Using a food processor or blender, make a fine paste of the ginger and garlic, adding a good splash of water. Add to the pan with all the spices and salt, to taste. Cook for 1 minute, then stir in the lamb and brown over a moderate heat for 6 minutes.
4. Add the stock, Worcestershire sauce and tomatoes. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Allow to cool and remove the black cardamom pods. There should be a little liquid still left in the pan.
5. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Heat the butter and milk (with the cream, if using) in a pan until hot, season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper and stir in the reserved mashed potatoes. Stir lightly and quickly to incorporate, then taste and adjust the seasoning with more salt and pepper, if necessary. Remove from the heat.
6. Stir the peas into the lamb and place the lamb mixture in an ovenproof dish. Top with the potatoes. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbling. Let it stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- 700 g potatoes
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 black cardamom
- 1 onion, chopped
- 10 g ginger
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1.5 tsp ground cumin
- 1.5 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 450 g minced lamb
- 150 ml lamb or chicken stock
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 50 g butter
- 250 ml milk, (for a richer dish, substitute cream for some of the milk)
- 3 handfuls frozen peas