On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - Lorraine's Fast, Fresh & Easy Food - Posh Nosh
- 20:30 - Gok Cooks Chinese - Street Food
- 21:00 - River Cottage Veg Every Day - Finale
- Prep time:
- 25 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr
- 1 loaf
This deliciously treacly gingerbread from Rachel Allen comes with a lemon drizzle-like topping.
Method1. You will need a 13cm x 23cm (5in x 9in) loaf tin. Line the loaf tin with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 170C/gas 3.
2. Melt the butter, golden syrup and molasses (or treacle) in a small saucepan over a low heat. Set aside.
3. Sift the flours, bicarbonate of soda, spices and pepper into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar and salt, then add the milk and egg and mix until smooth. Gradually add the melted butter mixture, stirring until well incorporated, then fold in the chopped crystallised ginger. The mixture will be runny.
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and bake in the oven for 50–55 minutes, or until risen and firm to the touch and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Do not open the oven to test before the gingerbread has cooked for at least 45 minutes. Allow the cake to stand for 10 minutes in the tin before removing to a wire rack to cool.
5. For the syrup: place all the ingredients for the syrup in a small saucepan and simmer for 10 minutes. Prick the hot cake all over with a fine skewer, pour over the syrup and leave to cool completely.
6. For the topping: if you wish to make it, mix the icing sugar and lemon juice together in a small bowl until thick, then spread carefully over the top of the cake with a palette knife or a table knife, allowing some icing to drip over the edges. Serve when the icing has set slightly.
- 60 g butter
- 75 g golden syrup
- 50 g molasses or black treacle
- 110 g flour
- 25 g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 100 g caster sugar
- 1 pinches salt
- 120 ml milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 50 g crystallised ginger, finely chopped
For the syrup
- 80 g caster sugar
- 80 ml water
- 1 tsp finely grated ginger
For the topping (optional)
- 200 g icing sugar, sifted
- 1 lemon, juice only