On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - Two Fat Ladies - Cocktail Party
- 20:30 - Two Fat Ladies - Lunch
- 21:00 - River Cottage Spring - River Cottage Spring, 4
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 40 min
- 8 slices
Matt Tebbutt makes his all time favourite cake from his grandmother’s recipe
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160 fan/gas 4. Grease a 20cm springform cake tin.
2. For the cake: cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until pale and fluffy.
3. Gradually add the beaten eggs to the butter mix. Carefully fold in the flour, then spoon the mixture into the prepared tin. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes. Test it’s cooked all the way through with a skewer. Remove from the oven and cool for a while, still in the tin.
4. Meanwhile, heat together the water, remaining sugar to taste, coffee essence and brandy in a small saucepan, just until the sugar has dissolved.
5. Remove the cake from the tin and place on a serving plate. While the cake is still warm, prick it all over with a skewer or fork and slowly spoon the syrup over it, waiting until it is absorbed before adding more.
6. For the mascarpone and vanilla cream: just before serving, make the mascarpone cream. Stir the mascarpone vigorously in a small bowl to make it smooth, then beat in the crème fraîche, vanilla seeds and icing sugar.
7. Serve the cake warm, with the mascarpone and vanilla cream.
For the syrup
- 90 g caster sugar
- 50 ml water
- 3 tbsp coffee essence or good-quality strong coffee
- 3 tbsp brandy
For the mascarpone and vanilla cream