On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - What Grows Together
- 20:30 - Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - Made for Each Other
- 21:00 - New Choccywoccydoodah: Starstruck - 'Tis the Season to Be Choccy...
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 15 min
Nothing comforts like home-made fish pie, with succulent pieces of fish, prawns, mussels and scallops under a fluffy cloud of mash potatoes.
- 1 leek, sliced
- 100 g butter
- 10 mussels, in their shells
- 100 g salmon, skinned
- 100 g haddock fillets, skinned
- 100 g cod fillets, skinned
- 100 g smoked haddock
- 4 scallops
- 300 ml full-fat milk
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- handful roughly chopped flat leaf parsley
- 100 g frozen cooked prawns, defrosted
- 400 g mashed potato
- handful grated parmesan
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Gently fry the leek in half the butter, stirring occasionally, until softened. Set aside.
2. Steam the mussels in a pan with a splash of water, until the shells open. Discard any that do not open. Remove the mussel flesh from their shells. Set aside.
3. Cut the salmon, haddock, cod and smoked haddock into 3cm chunks and put into a large pan along with the scallops. Cover with milk, bring to a simmer and poach for 6-7 minutes. Drain the fish, reserving the milk for the sauce.
4. Heat the remaining butter in a clean pan and stir in the flour. Cook, stirring for a couple of minutes, then start to add the warm poaching milk. Season with salt and pepper and cook until thickened to the consistency of double cream. Remove from the heat and stir in the leeks and most of the parsley.
5. Put the chunks of fish in a grill-proof pie dish and add the steamed mussels and prawns. Pour over the warm sauce.
6. Spread the prepared mashed potato on top of the pie and grate over the parmesan. Sprinkle with the remaining chopped parsley.
7. Put the pie under a hot grill until the top is crisp and golden and the cheese has melted.