Cajun fried chicken with tomato salsa and sour cream
By: From: Market Kitchen
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Roux Masterclass: Alain and Michel Roux Jr - Michel Roux Jr and Michel Roux Snr
- 20:30 - Rick Stein's Seafood Lovers' Guide - Rick Stein's Seafood Lovers Guide: Ep 8
- 21:00 - Choccywoccydoodah - On the Frontline
- Prep time:
- 10 min, plus 2 hours marinating
- Cook time:
- 5 min
Matt Tebbutt prepares a taste of Deep South Mississippi by cooking up spicy fried chicken
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 pinches sugar
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 3 tsp dried oregano
- 300 g plain flour
- 85 g polenta
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- oil, for deep frying
- soured cream, for serving
For the tomato salsa
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Put the chicken strips into a bowl and add the salt, smoked paprika, garlic, shallot, 1 pinch of sugar, pepper, cayenne, thyme and 1 teaspoon of dried oregano and mix until the chicken is thoroughly coated. Set aside to marinate for 2 hours.
2. For the tomato salsa: combine all the ingredients in a bowl with a pinch of salt and set aside until ready to serve.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, polenta, paprika, garlic powder and the remaining pinch of sugar and stir until well mixed. Dust each strip of marinated chicken with the coating mixture.
4. Heat the fat in a deep pan until hot, then deep-fry the chicken strips in batches until crisp and golden.
5. Serve with the tomato salsa and a bowl of soured cream.