On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - River Cottage Veg - Power
- 21:00 - River Cottage Veg - Bring It On
- 22:00 - River Cottage Veg - Grow Your Own
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 5 min
Mark Hix onion rings recipes has a twist on the classic, they are made with a tangy pear cider
Method1. Sift the self-raising flour into a bowl and gradually whisk in the perry, until the mixture forms a batter the consistency of double cream (you may not need all of the perry). Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
2. Season the plain flour with salt and pepper.
3. Heat about 8cm depth of vegetable oil in an electric deep-fat fryer or a suitable heavy-based pan to 160–180C.
4. Divide the onions into small batches for frying. Toss one batch in the seasoned flour to coat, shaking off any excess, then dip into the batter. Carefully lower the onions into the oil and deep-fry for 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Repeat with the rest of the onions.
5. Season the cooked onion rings with onion salt, to taste. Serve immediately.