On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Hairy Bikers' Bakeation - Germany
- 21:00 - Nigel Slater's Simple Cooking - Born and Bred
- 21:30 - Heston Blumenthal: In Search Of Perfection - Chilli con Carne
- Prep time:
- 40 min, plus overnight marinating
- Cook time:
- 2 hrs
Cyrus Todiwala makes spicy roast pork with a potato and tomato accompaniment
Method1. Cut the meat into portion sized pieces. If using collar, ask your butcher to tie them into little parcels for you. Make sure the meat is clean and dry. Rub in the turmeric and salt and set aside.
2. For the marinade:With a mortar and pestle, crush the ginger and garlic to almost a paste. Finely chop the onion and green chilli, and crush similarly.
3. Break the cassia into two or three pieces, partly crush the cloves and peppercorns and break the red chilli into 1cm sized pieces. Roast the cassia, cloves, pepper corns and dry red chilli in a medium-hot frying pan, or in a warm oven at 130C/gas 1 for 20 minutes.
4. Blend the tamarind pulp, palm vinegar and sugar until the sugar dissolves.
5. Mix all these ingredients together, with the bay leaf, in a large bowl that will fit in the refrigerator. Add the pork to the marinade and mix well again to coat. Cover and refrigerate, ideally overnight.
6. Once the pork is marinated, preheat oven to 150C/gas 2.
7. Remove the pork from the marinade and remove any debris from the surface. Heat a non-stick casserole dish to medium (add a little oil if the dish is not non-stick) and gently brown the pork for about 10 minutes. Once cooked, remove to a tray.
8. Add the marinade to the pan and lower the heat until anything stuck to the pan can be cooked off and the bottom of the pan scrapes clean. Increase the heat and fry until the onions are golden and the liquid reduces.
9. Once the onions are nearly browned place the pork on top of the mixture, cover with the lid and place in the oven. Reduce heat after 5 minutes to 120-130C/ gas1/2 and cook for 20 minutes.
10. After 20 minutes, turn the meat. Roast for another 15 minutes and then turn once more. Depending on the cut and thickness the meat should be ready in about 1 hour. While the pork is roasting, prepare the accompaniment.
11. For the potato and tomato accompaniment: peel and parboil the potatoes for 10 minutes, until they are partially cooked but still firm. Remove from the water, allow to cool for a few minutes, pat dry and slice thickly. Slice the tomatoes into thick slices too.
12. Heat a little oil in a frying pan and fry the potatoes and tomatoes for about 10 minutes, turning as necessary, until golden brown on both sides.
13. When the meat is cooked, separate it onto a tray with a rack below to drain the liquid, then place the casserole on the hob and keep the sauce warm. Reduce to taste.
14. Allow the meat to rest 6-8 minutes before slicing. Slice thickly and arrange on a platter, pour the sauce over the meat. Arrange the sliced tomato and potato alongside and serve sprinkled with fresh coriander.
For the marinade
- 3 x 3 cm pieces ginger
- 6-7 cloves garlic
- 3 red onions
- 2-3 green chillies
- 8 cm piece cassia bark, (if not available use cinnamon)
- 4-5 cloves
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 4-5 large dried chillies
- 4-5 tbsp tamarind pulp, (if using ready-made pulp do not use the very dark pulp)
- 150 ml palm vinegar, (if not available use cider vinegar)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 bay leaf
For the grilled tomato and potato