On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Great Sport Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Sport Relief Bake Off
- 21:00 - The Great Sport Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Sport Relief Bake Off
- 22:00 - You Gotta Eat Here - The Club, Foo, Tundra & Inn Pub
- Prep time:
- 5 min
- Cook time:
- 10 min
- makes 450ml
Rachel Allen’s classic creme patissiere, or pastry cream, can be used in fruit tarts or cream puffs
Method1. In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar until light and thick, then stir in the flour.
2. Put the vanilla pod (if using) in a saucepan with the milk and bring it slowly just up to the boil. Remove the vanilla pod and pour the milk onto the egg mixture, whisking all the time. Return the mixture to the pan and stir over a low-medium heat until it comes up to a gentle boil. It must boil for it to thicken. Continue to cook, stirring all the time (or use a whisk if it looks lumpy), for 2 minutes or until it has thickened.
3. Remove the saucepan from the heat, add the vanilla extract (if using) and pour into a bowl. If the mixture goes a little lumpy while cooking, remove the saucepan from the heat and whisk well. If it is still lumpy when cooked, push it through a sieve.
4. Cover with cling film and allow to cool. It must be covered, or the surface must be rubbed with a tiny knob of butter to prevent a skin forming.
- 4 egg yolks
- 100 g caster sugar
- 25 g plain flour, sifted
- 1 vanilla pod, with a line scored down the side, or 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 350 ml milk
Tips and suggestions
- The cream can be frozen or may be made a couple of days in advance and stored in the fridge before using.
Adapted from Rachel Allen, Bake (Collins)