On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - Nigel Slater's 12 Tastes of Christmas - Nigel Slater's 12 Tastes of Christmas
- 21:00 - Nigel Slater's Simple Christmas - Nigel Slater's Simple Christmas
- 22:00 - The Hairy Bikers: Mums Know Best at Christmas - The Hairy Bikers: Mums Know Best at Christmas
- Prep time:
- 20 min, plus 30 minutes cooling
- Cook time:
- 15 min
Rachel Allen makes easy work of this timeless dessert – lavish the sponge with your choice of cream and jam
Method1. Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5.
2. For the swiss roll: line the base of a 25 x 38cm swiss roll tin with greaseproof paper, brush the base and sides of the tin with melted butter and dust with flour.
3. Whisk the eggs and caster sugar together in a large bowl or in an electric food mixer until light and fluffy, then add the water and vanilla extract.
4. Sift in the flour, about one-third at a time, and fold it into the mixture using a large metal spoon.
5. Pour the mixture gently into the prepared swiss roll tin and bake in the oven for 12–15 minutes, or until the centre of the cake is slightly springy and the edges have shrunk away a little from the sides of the tin.
6. Spread out a piece of greaseproof paper (slightly larger than the tin in size) on a work surface and sprinkle evenly with caster sugar (this stops the roll from sticking to the paper). Turn the Swiss roll tin onto the sugared greaseproof paper, then carefully remove the tin and greaseproof paper from the bottom of the cake.
7. Place a slightly damp, clean tea towel over the cake and leave to cool for 30 minutes – this will prevent it drying out and cracking when you roll it.
8. When the cake is cool, spread it sparingly with raspberry jam, followed by the whipped cream. With the longest side facing you, roll up the Swiss roll away from you, then transfer to a plate to serve. Sprinkle with caster sugar or dust with icing sugar to finish.
Adapted from Rachel Allen, Bake (Collins)
For the swiss roll
- melted butter, for greasing
- 125 g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 4 eggs
- 125 g caster sugar, plus 3 tbsp for sprinkling (or use icing sugar for dusting
- 2 tbsp warm water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the filling
- 6 tbsp raspberry or strawberry jam
- 225 ml double cream, whipped