On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Two Fat Ladies - Timber
- 20:30 - Two Fat Ladies - A Day at the Races
- 21:00 - Paul Hollywood's Bread - Soda Bread
Submitted by: EllenB85110
- Prep time:
- 40 min
- Cook time:
- 30 min
This wonderfully delicate dessert combines crunchy, chewy and creamy textures with the fresh taste of citrus curd, raspberries and a hint of rosewater, in a recipe by Rachel Allen
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Line a 13 x 33cm Swiss roll tin with foil, folding the sides up to make a frame 4cm high and squeezing the corners together. Brush lightly with vegetable oil.
2. For the meringue: place the egg whites in a spotlessly clean bowl (stainless steel is best) and whisk until soft peaks form. Fold the rosewater, vinegar and corn flour.
3. Add the sugar all in one go (if using a hand-held beater, add the sugar in stages) and whisk at full speed for about 4–5 minutes, or until stiff peaks form. Using a large metal spoon, fold in the coconut firmly and quickly.
4. Smooth the meringue into the prepared tin with a palette knife and bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes, or until faintly browned and firm to the touch.
5. Allow the meringue to cool for five minutes, then turn out onto a sheet of foil (slightly bigger than the roulade) – quickly turning it upside down onto the sheet and gently removing the foil on the base. Allow to cool completely.
6. For the filling: lightly beat the mascarpone cheese in a mixing bowl, then add the caster sugar and the rosewater to taste. Fold in the cream and lemon or lime curd.
7. Spread the cream evenly over the meringue, leaving 4cm of the long edge nearest to you free of cream. Scatter the raspberries over the cream.
8. Holding the foil closest to you, roll up the roulade away from you and leave it in the foil until you are ready to serve (it will hold neatly here for a couple of hours in the fridge).
9. When ready to serve, unwrap the roulade and gently push it onto a serving dish using a palette knife or cake slice. Dust with icing sugar and decorate with a few more raspberries and sprigs of mint, if using.
- vegetable oil, for greasing
For the meringue
- 4 eggs, whites only
- 2 tsp rose water
- 1 tsp red or white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp cornflour, sifted
- 225 g caster sugar
- 50 g desiccated coconut
For the filling
- 250 g mascarpone
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1-2 tbsp rose water, to taste
- 100–150 ml double cream, lightly whipped
- 150 ml lime or lemon curd
- 250–300 g fresh or frozen raspberries
- icing sugar, for dusting
- fresh raspberries
- fresh mint leaves, optional
Tips and suggestions
- Edible rosewater is available from specialist shops and most chemists.
Adapted from Rachel Allen, Bake (Collins)