On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Caribbean Food Made Easy - CARIBBEAN FOOD MADE EASY
- 20:30 - Chinese Food Made Easy - Seafood
- 21:00 - MasterChef: The Final Three - MasterChef
Submitted by: SharonS97452
- Prep time:
- 20 min, plus 1 hour resting
- Cook time:
- 50 min
Decorate Rachel Allen's zingy lime yogurt cake with delicate rose petals
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Line the base and sides of a 22cm spring-form/loose-bottomed cake tin with greaseproof paper.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Stir in the ground almonds and caster sugar.
3. Mix together the eggs, honey, yogurt, sunflower oil and lime zest together well in a medium-sized bowl. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and slowly pour in the wet ingredients, bringing them together with a whisk until they are just combined. You can add some chopped pistachios to the mixture if you wish, or save them for decorating.
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in the oven for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for about 20 minutes.
5. While the cake is cooling, make the syrup. In a small saucepan, boil the water and sugar for about 5 minutes until it is reduced by half. Add the lime juice and boil for a further 2 minutes, then cool. Add rosewater to taste.
6. With a fine skewer, make holes on top of the warm cake and spoon the syrup all over the top. Scatter the pistachios over, if you wish, and leave to settle for 1 hour.
7. Decorate with rose petals, if using. Serve with cream, natural yogurt, sliced mangos or berries. It is a very moist cake so keeps extremely well in the fridge for a few days.
Adapted from Rachel Allen, Bake (Collins)
- 225 g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinches salt
- 75 g ground almonds
- 100 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 generous tbsp or 50g runny honey
- 250 ml natural yogurt
- 150 ml sunflower oil
- 1 lime, finely grated zest only
For the syrup
- 150 ml water
- 100 g caster sugar
- 1 lime, juice only
- 1-2 tbsp rose water
- 50 g unsaltedunsalted pistachio nuts, roughly chopped
- rose petals, (optional)