On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rachel Khoo's Kitchen Notebook: Cosmopolitan Cook - Costa Brava
- 20:30 - Rachel Khoo's Kitchen Notebook: Cosmopolitan Cook - Provence
- 21:00 - MasterChef: The Final Three - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 15 min
Rachel Allen makes easy work of a French classic of a comforting chicken dish with a tomato, garlic and olive sauce
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. Heat half of the olive oil in a large pan, then add the onions and garlic and season with salt, pepper and the sugar. Cover with a lid and sweat on a gentle heat for 8-10 minutes, or until the onions have softened.
3. Add the tomatoes, half of the chopped herbs, wine, olives, capers and anchovies to the pan and cook for another 20 minutes uncovered, or until the sauce has reduced to a thick purée-like consistency. (Stir regularly to prevent the sauce from burning.) Set aside.
4. In a large frying pan, heat the rest of the olive oil and brown the chicken breasts, in batches, for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until golden all over. Place the browned chicken in an ovenproof gratin dish and cover with the tomato sauce.
5. Cover the gratin dish with foil and place into the oven to cook for 40 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove from the oven, stir through the lemon juice and garnish with the remaining chopped herbs. Serve straight from the gratin dish.
Image credit: Rachel's Favourite Food for Friends Published by Gill & Macmillan, Dublin
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp sugar
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chopped basil
- 2 tbsp chopped marjoram
- 150 ml white wine
- 20 olives, stones removed, roughly chopped
- 25 g capers, rinsed and drained
- 55 g canned anchovy fillets, roughly chopped
- 6 chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1-2 tbsp chopped herbs, for garnish