On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rachel Khoo's Kitchen Notebook: Cosmopolitan Cook - Istanbul
- 20:30 - Rachel Khoo's Kitchen Notebook: Cosmopolitan Cook - Amalfi Coast
- 21:00 - MasterChef: The Final Three - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 55 min
The winner from our summer, 2008, baking competition, Catherine Hudspith, shares her winning cake recipe with the fresh flavours of lemongrass and ginger.
Method1. Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced/gas mark 4. Grease and line a 20cm round cake tin. Sift together the baking powder with the self-raising flour.
2. Beat the butter with 125g sugar until creamy. Alternate adding the eggs and flour mixture in thirds and continue beating until well combined.
3. Stir in the stem ginger and ground ginger. Add 4 tablespoons of the cordial and mix well.
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake for 45-55 minutes. If using a fan oven check the cake after 35 minutes. To test if the cake is ready, insert a skewer in the middle and if it comes out clean, it is ready.
5. Allow the cake to cool in the cake tin. While the cake is cooling, make the syrup. Pour the remaining cordial into a saucepan with the rest of the syrup ingredients. Bring to the boil then turn the heat off and let the syrup cool down for a few minutes.
6. While the cake is still in the cake tin, pour over the syrup and leave to absorb. Once the cake is completely cool, remove from the tin and slice. Store in an airtight container.
- 175 g butter or margarine
- 125 g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 175 g self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 75 g preserved stem ginger, in syrup, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp stem ginger syrup, (reserved from the stem ginger)
- 10 tbsp lemongrass and ginger cordial, (Bottlegreen brand)
- zest of 1 lemons
- 1 sticks lemongrass, bashed
- 50 g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp water