On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Remember the Carnivore
- 20:30 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Meaty Milestone
- 21:00 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - The Meat Shall Inherit the Earth
- Prep time:
- 25 min
- Cook time:
- 25 min
A crème patisserie base and a sticky-sweet strawberry liqueur glaze makes James Martin’s tart a real treat
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. Cut the pastry into a 15cm square and put onto a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper or a non-stick mat.
3. Score a line all the way round from the edge of the pastry, about 1cm in. It should look like a picture frame. Brush the edge with an egg wash.
4. Prick the centre of the pasty frame all over with the tip of a sharp knife. This will stop it from rising. Cook in the oven until light golden brown and crisp, about 20 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, make a crème patisserie. Put the milk and vanilla pods in a pan and warm over a low heat.
6. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and cornflour. Stir in a little of the warm milk, then pour the mixture back into the pan. Cook, stirring, over a gentle heat until thickened. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
7. In another pan, heat the strawberry liqueur until it starts to flame. Add the strawberries and caster sugar and cook for 2 minutes – the juices should form a syrup. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
8. Just before serving, cover the centre of the puff pasty base with a layer of crème patisserie. Top with the strawberries and drizzle over the strawberry syrup.