On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - New Tricks
- 20:30 - Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - Making Things Go Further
- 21:00 - River Cottage Every Day - Treats
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr, plus cooling
A pomegranate dressing gives a beautiful sweet-tart flavour to Sophie Grigson’s chicken salad
Method1. For the chicken: poach the chicken several hours in advance, or even the day before. Put it in big saucepan with the lemon, carrots, celery, bouquet garni, peppercorns and a little salt.
2. Add water to cover and bring slowly up to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer very, very gently for about an hour or until the chicken is cooked through. Leave to cool in the liquid.
3. Remove the chicken (strain and save the stock to make soup or gravy some other time), pull off and discard skin, then shred the flesh with your fingers. Reserve.
4. For the dressing: simply whisk the pomegranate molasses with the oil and add salt and pepper to taste.
5. For the salad: just before serving, toss the salad ingredients with the chicken and just enough dressing to coat nicely. Serve swiftly before the lettuce begins to wilt.
For the chicken
- 1 small chicken
- 1 lemon, halved
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 sticks celery, sliced
- 1 bouquet garni, (bay leaf, parsley, thyme)
- 10 black peppercorns
For the dressing
For the salad