Poached chicken salad with pomegranate molasses
By: From: Market Kitchen
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - What to Eat Now: Summer - What To Eat Now: Summer, 1
- 20:30 - What to Eat Now: Summer - What To Eat Now: Summer, 5
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers: Mums Know Best - Family Favourites
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr, plus cooling
A pomegranate dressing gives a beautiful sweet-tart flavour to Sophie Grigson’s chicken salad
For the chicken
- 1 small chicken
- 1 lemon, halved
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 sticks celery, sliced
- 1 bouquet garni, (bay leaf, parsley, thyme)
- 10 black peppercorns
For the dressing
For the salad
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. For the chicken: poach the chicken several hours in advance, or even the day before. Put it in big saucepan with the lemon, carrots, celery, bouquet garni, peppercorns and a little salt.
2. Add water to cover and bring slowly up to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer very, very gently for about an hour or until the chicken is cooked through. Leave to cool in the liquid.
3. Remove the chicken (strain and save the stock to make soup or gravy some other time), pull off and discard skin, then shred the flesh with your fingers. Reserve.
4. For the dressing: simply whisk the pomegranate molasses with the oil and add salt and pepper to taste.
5. For the salad: just before serving, toss the salad ingredients with the chicken and just enough dressing to coat nicely. Serve swiftly before the lettuce begins to wilt.