On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escapes - Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escapes, 4
- 21:00 - The Great British Bake Off - Tarts
- 22:00 - MasterChef - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 15 min
Gary Rhodes uses authentic oriental flavours from northern China - easily prepared from the comfort of your own kitchen
Method1. Put the beef in a large pan, cover with cold water, and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the meat from the pan and leave on one side. Save the liquid - you can use it to top up the soup later on.
2. Heat the oil in a large wok or pan and add the spring onions, ginger and garlic, followed by the star anise (or five spice powder), chilli flakes, bean sauce and beef. Stir-fry for a minute over a high heat.
3. Add the cooking wine, soy sauce and enough hot water to cover. Put the lid on and simmer until the beef is tender - about 1 hour. You might need to top up the pan with the reserved cooking liquid if it looks like drying out.
4. Remove the beef with a slotted spoon and reserve. Strain the stock and return to the pan. Bring back to the boil and add the cooked noodles. Simmer for a minute to warm through.
5. Divide the soup and noodles between six deep soup bowls. Share the meat out between each bowl and finish with chopped coriander and a drizzle of sesame oil.
- 500 g beef steaks, such as chuck, cut into 4cm pieces
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 spring onions, cut into rough lengths
- 4cm ginger, shredded
- 4 cloves garlic, shredded
- 3 star anise or ½ tsp chinese five spice, powder
- ¾ tsp dried red chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp red chilli bean sauce
- 2 tbsp shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 150 g cooked noodles
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- 1 tsp sesame oil