Raspberry and elderflower trifle
By: From: Market Kitchen
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Roux Masterclass: Alain and Michel Roux Jr - Albert and Alain Roux
- 20:30 - Rick Stein's Fruits of the Sea - Rick Stein's Fruits of the Sea (1): Ep 7
- 21:00 - Choccywoccydoodah - Queen of Cakes
- Prep time:
- 30 min
Paul Rankin is proud of his trifle combination; however feel free to use up what you have in the house: biscuits instead of Madeira cake, raspberries instead of blackberries… After all isn’t that just how trifles came about in the first place?
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Pick over the raspberries, removing any stems etc. Place 8 perfect ones to the side for a garnish.
2. Purée 225g of the raspberries with the lemon juice and 100g of the sugar in a blender. Pass through a fine sieve. Toss this purée with the remaining berries, and set aside for the moment.
3. Stir the remaining sugar into the mascarpone - do not overbeat because the mascarpone can split if overworked. Carefully stir the custard into the mascarpone, a spoonful at a time. Set aside.
4. Mix the elderflower cordial with the sweet sherry. Chop up the Madeira cake into bite size pieces and toss in the mixture so that the cake absorbs all the liquid.
5. To assemble the trifles, start with about 1 tablespoon of the mushy cake into the bottom of each glass or mould. Top this with a generous spoonful of the berry mix, followed by a generous spoonful of the custard mix. Sprinkle a few of the chopped hazelnuts on to this, and repeat the layers once again. These can be made up even a day in advance, and stored, covered with cling film in the refrigerator.
6. If there is room left at the top of the trifle, add a dollop of freshly whipped cream just before serving. Decorate with the reserved raspberries.