On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- 21:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- 22:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 5 min
Diana Henry's simple salad is a thrifty and absolutely delicious way to use up day-old bread
Method1. Tear the bread into bite-size chunks and soak the chunks in a little milk - enough to saturate, but not submerge, them.
2. Put the anchovy fillets into a serving bowl.
3. Squeeze any excess milk out of the chunks of bread. Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan until hot and fry the bread chunks until lightly golden on each side.
4. Chop up the larger tomatoes and add them, along with the smaller whole tomatoes, to the serving bowl.
5. Stir in the capers, thyme and parsley and add a drizzle of vinegar and some freshly ground black pepper. You can add salt if needed, but the anchovies may be already quite salty.
6. Add the fried bread chunks to the serving bowl and gently mix with the other ingredients, taking care not to break up the ingredients too much or turn the mixture into a mush.
7. To serve, drizzle with a little extra olive oil and serve at once to avoid the salad becoming soggy.
- 2 thick slices white bread, such as pain de campagne
- milk, for soaking
- 6 tinned anchovies, coarsely chopped
- olive oil, for frying and serving
- selection of tomatoes, in different sizes and colours
- 2 tsp capers, drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp thyme, leaves only
- small handful parsley, coarsely torn
- white wine vinegar, to drizzle