On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rachel Allen's Cake Diaries - Say it with Cake
- 20:30 - Rachel Allen: All Things Sweet - Afternoon Tea
- 21:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
Method1. For the poor man’s parmesan: heat the oil in a medium-sized frying pan over moderate heat. Add the chilli, garlic and anchovies and fry gently, crushing down the pieces of anchovy with the back of a spoon or the fork so that they dissolve into the oil.
2. As soon as the mixture has broken down, add the breadcrumbs. Fry, stirring constantly, until a rich golden brown.
3. Pile this breadcrumb mixture into a bowl, lined with kitchen paper to absorb excess oil. Ease the paper out just before serving.
4. For the broccoli: cut all the florets from the broccoli central stalk. They should be evenly sized, roughly 3cm across. Peel the stem only if necessary, then cut into slices around the thickness of two £1 coins.
5. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a wide, heavy-based pan over a medium heat until it just starts to smoke. Throw in the broccoli and clamp on the lid (which should be close-fitting). Leave to cook for 2 minutes, so that as the heat releases the water from the vegetable, steam builds up.
6. Remove the lid and shake the pan a bit, to make sure all the florets get a good coating of hot oil. Season generously with salt and pepper and then add the butter.
7. Put on the lid again, and give the broccoli another minute or two on the heat. Check to see if it is cooked enough for you. If you want it a little softer, shake the broccoli around again, then replace the lid and cook for another minute or two.
8. To serve, pile the broccoli into a serving dish and scatter with the poor man’s parmesan.
For the poor man’s parmesan
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tinned tinned anchovies, roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp fine dry breadcrumbs
For the broccoli