On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rick Stein's Seafood Odyssey - Suffolk and Naples
- 20:30 - Rick Stein's Seafood Odyssey - India and Cornwall
- 21:00 - River Cottage Every Day - Fish
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 40 min
Richard Phillips slow-cooks lamb necks with vegetables and dried orange peel for a rich and unctuous dish
Method1. Preheat the oven to 140C/gas 1.
2. Heat the oil in a large ovenproof pan and colour the lamb necks on all sides. Remove for the pan and set aside.
3. Add the shallots and garlic and fry until just turning golden. Add the beetroot and herbs and fry for 1 minute. Pour over the wines and reduce by half.
4. Return the lamb necks to the pan, add the tomatoes and cover with stock. Bring to a simmer.
5. Cook in the oven for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven, stir in the onions, carrots and orange peel and continue cooking for a further 30 minutes, or until all vegetables are cooked and the meat is tender.
6. Remove the meat from the pan and reduce the sauce to the desired consistency.
7. Put the lamb into a bowl, scatter the vegetables over the top, pour over the sauce and serve with buttered new potatoes and a sprinkling of chopped parsley.
- 2 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
- 4 necks of lamb, cut in half, excess fat removed
- 1 banana shallot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 12 baby beetroot, peeled
- 1 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 100 ml white wine
- 100 ml light red wine
- 6 plum tomatoes
- lamb stock, to cover
- 12 baby onions, peeled
- 12 baby carrots, peeled
- 2 oranges, peeled and the peel dried out
- buttered new potatoes, to serve
- pinches chopped parsley