Curried goat or mutton
By: From: New British Kitchen
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - What to Eat Now: Summer - What To Eat Now: Summer, 2
- 20:30 - What to Eat Now: Summer - What To Eat Now: Summer, 6
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers: Mums Know Best - Picnics
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 45 min
Eddie Campbell shows John Torode how to bring the sunshine taste of the Caribbean to a traditional curry
Tips and suggestions
- Cooks Tips...
- Eddie Campbell’s version of rice and peas is the perfect accompaniment to this dish.
- 1 kg goat meat, or mutton meat
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2-3 sprigs thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, (whole)
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp ginger, finely chopped
- water, to cover
- 2 large carrots, cut into cubes
- 1 large potato, cut into cubes
- rice and peas, to serve
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Wash the meat under cold running water and cut into small chunks. Heat the vegetable oil in a large lidded frying pan, seal the meat until browned all over, add the onions and fry until golden-brown.
2. Add the thyme, garlic, spring onions, scotch bonnet pepper, curry powder, tomato ketchup, ginger, salt, freshly ground black pepper and water to cover, and put the lid on.
3. Simmer until nearly tender (about 1 hour - 1 hour 30 minutes).
4. Add carrots and potato to the pan and simmer for a further 10 minutes, or until the meat, carrots and potato are all tender. Serve with Jamaican rice and peas.