On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Hairy Bakers' Christmas Special - The Hairy Bakers' Christmas Special
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers' Twelve Days of Christmas - The Hairy Bikers' Twelve Days of Christmas
- 22:00 - Naked Chef : Christmas in New York - Naked Chef : Christmas in New York
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 3 hrs 30 min
Tom Parker Bowles' recipe for this famous Belgian casserole of beef cooked in a rich, dark beer sauce is ideal for both family and entertaining
Method1. Preheat the oven to 150C/gas 2.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of the dripping in a heavy-based frying pan and fry the onion until lightly coloured but not brown. Lift out with a slotted spoon and transfer to a shallow casserole.
3. In a shallow bowl, combine the flour with the mustard powder and toss the meat cubes in the mixture to coat.
4. Heat the remaining dripping in the frying pan, brown the meat in batches and transfer to the casserole.
5. Add the vinegar, beer and stock to the frying pan with the sugar and herbs. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste and stir until simmering, scraping any residue from the bottom of the pan.
6. Pour the sauce over the meat and onions, cover tightly and cook in the oven for 3 hours. Remove the bouquet garni and stir in the mustard.
7. Serve with mashed potato.