On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Caribbean Food Made Easy - CARIBBEAN FOOD MADE EASY
- 20:30 - Lorraine's Fast, Fresh & Easy Food - Easy Entertaining
- 21:00 - River Cottage - River Cottage: Winter's On The Way, 1
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 20 min
Make the most of this season’s produce with Clodagh McKenna’s hearty soup recipe, served with a wild garlic pesto
Method1. For the soup: melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onions and potatoes, lightly frying, then season with salt and pepper. Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 10 minutes.
2. Add the stock bit by bit to the potato and onion mixture so that it combines well with the mixture. Once all the stock has been added bring the pan to a boil, reduce the heat and cook until the potatoes and onions are tender.
3. Stir in the wild garlic leaves and cook for 1 more minute. Add the double cream and stir.
4. Transfer the soup to a food processor and blend to a smooth consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. For the pesto:crush together the hazelnuts, parmesan and wild garlic leaves in a pestle and mortar, or a food processor. Season with some pepper and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and mix well. Set aside.
6. Serve the soup in bowls with the pesto drizzled over the top.
For the soup
- 50 g butter
- 100 g onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 200 g potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 300 ml hot chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 bunch of fresh wild garlic
- 2 tbsp double cream
For the pesto