Beef steaks with chop house butter
By: From: Market Kitchen
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Roux Masterclass: Alain and Michel Roux Jr - Michel Roux Jr and Michel Roux Snr
- 20:30 - Rick Stein's Seafood Lovers' Guide - Rick Stein's Seafood Lovers Guide: Ep 8
- 21:00 - Choccywoccydoodah - On the Frontline
- Prep time:
- 10 min, plus 20 chilling
- Cook time:
- 15 min
Mark Hix cooks up a simple beef dish that’s perfect with a creamy butter flavoured with herbs, relish and mustard
For the butter
- 2 red onions, peeled, halved and finely chopped
- 2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp extra virgin rapeseed oil
- splashes red wine
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme, leaves only
- 1 tbsp freshly grated horseradish
- 500 g butter, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp Henderson's relishes
- 2 tbsp HP sauce
- 1 tbsp Tewksbury mustard
- 2 tsp Gentleman's relishes
For the beef
- 1 x 350 g beef fillet, on the bone, heavily marbled
- 1 x 300 g Porterhouse steaks, heavily marbled
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. For the butter: gently cook the red onions and black pepper in the rapeseed oil for 1-2 minutes then remove from the heat and mix well with all of the other ingredients.
2. Roll the butter mixture in cling film or greaseproof into a 3cm cylinder and store in the fridge for at least 20 minutes to firm up.
3. For the beef: season the fillet and the porterhouse with a little salt and pepper. Brush the 2 cuts of beef with vegetable oil.
4. Heat a griddle pan until smoking, and cook the beef cuts for 3-4 minutes on each side (for medium rare), or until cooked to your liking.
5. Serve the grilled beef on the bone and the porterhouse with a knob of the Chop House butter.